Monday, April 09, 2007

further opinions about music

Most listened to album of the last couple of months: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations. I wish I was this much into the album when I saw them live last November.

Last time The Avalanches - Since I Left You was the classic album I'd just brought and was consuming heavily. This time round that honour falls to Air, and their 1998 wonder Moon Safari. Every inch that album is more addictive than marzipan.

I do not understand the appeal of Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Couple of good songs (By The Way, Rollercoaster) and a bunch of entirely average ones. Most overrated band out there, I'd say.

Three years ago, I decided I wanted to own Radiohead albums. So I brought three in one shopping trip: Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer. Given that OK Computer is usually seen as the best, I listened to that for a fair while, but really struggled with it. This put me off listening to Radiohead until just the last couple of months, when I've just really got into The Bends, which has revealed itself to be simply all sorts of awesome.

After last time deciding that Funeral by Arcade Fire was now my favourite album of all time, the so-close-to-being-as-good follow-up Neon Bible means that I've decided they are now also my favourite band, overtaking the never less than excellent Coldplay.

Uncool band of the month: The Little Ones. Their 6 song mini-album 'Sing-Song' writes the manual on good time pop music. Go check them out.

Some awful award ceremonies so far this year have named the worst album released in 2006 as Robbie Williams - Rudebox. Whilst it is by no means his best work, this is utter tosh. There's some great tracks on there, and while there's also some that don't work, I like the fact that as the biggest pop star in the country he's willing to take risks, and not just churn out what everybody knows will sell. This, in my book, makes him infinitely preferable to the Westlifes of the music industry.

Current least favourite song on the radio: Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape. I'm sorry but what happened to this girl's ability to make good radio friendly hits? Every single off her last album (Rich Girl, What You Waiting For and Cool particularly stick out) was a well crafted, happy and original pop hit. The two from this album (this and the utterly dire Wind It Up) have both been awful in comparison.

I'm not sick of hearing Bloc Party - I Still Remember on the radio. It still sounds fantastic after every listen.

The one song everybody must go download after reading this: Liam Frost - The Mourners of St. Paul's. Go on, take a chance on what I named as my favourite song of last year. It's an epic, touching, masterpiece of a song. And I'll tell you what, go download it now from your reputable online music retailer of choice, and if you decide you do not like it, I will personally refund you the 79p it probably cost.

There you are, that's my neck on the line. Go download it now and if you don't like it I'll give you the 79p back. 'mazing deal.

And that was some further opinions about music.

No comments: