Thursday, July 13, 2006

The school reunion, the rubbish job situation and the change of scenery

Day 23, then...

So when I last updated I was just about to go for a couple of PR jobs, yes? Well that night I headed down to the main patch of bars, and it was like Welcome to PRsville, population: everybody. I got chatting to a couple of them who bemoaned how quiet it was over here for this time of year, and that they were really struggling to make worthwhile amounts of money. Those who know me well will know that this was enough to put me off the idea immediately.
So over the next couple of nights I started to come to the conclusion that it might be time to move on from this place. Back when I first thought of coming over here for the summer, I had another place in mind as a sort of back-up, that I also liked the idea of living in for a couple of months. That place was Dublin. So sure enough, on Monday I booked a flight, for today, to Dublin.

I'm really, really excited about it, but I knew as I was finishing making the booking that I was bound to get a job offer through, just when a non-refundable plane ticket has been brought. Sod's law isn't it? Sure enough, and surreally enough, that's kind of what's happened.

The next night I logged on to MSN Messenger to see who was online, and started typing away to an old school friend Ivanka (one or two of you will know her, yes?), who I thought was living in Spain now. Turns out she's actually been living in Tenerife since January, and works for a magazine just up the road from where I've been staying. Yeah, imagine how shocked both of us were.

An hour later and we're out drinking in the beach-front bar Pete (who was going to be my flatmate out here before I U-turned and booked this flight) is running. Over the course of the evening we establish that with her contacts she easily could of sorted me out with a flat, a couple more flatmates, a job - quite possibly behind a bar - and generally helped me set down roots over here. Bugger. Great and utterly surreal night though.

The next night, last night, also happened to be Pete's one night off this week.Excellent. Me and him went out for a meal, then drinking to The Bull's Head (where I worked for that week) to say goodbye to the staff there. That came with another shock, the really cool girl there, Lorna, who was absolutely lovely, had just a couple of nights before got engaged to her equally really sound boyfriend. God bless her. So that was cause for another celebration.

After that headed to a Spanish bar on the beach-front, (Pete's Australian, but is good at speaking Spanish) then, at about half 2, when we knew we had to to carry on drinking, headed into the main patch where all the touristy loud clubs are. Sat in one that overlooks the street and watched a couple of nasty fights break out (one involving half a pool cue and a broken bottle, nice.), and then headed over to Tramps, probably the best known nightclub on the Island.

The highlight of that? For just the 3rd time in my life, getting thrown out of a bar. Go me! It was for semi-deliberately dropping and smashing a glass on the floor. The bouncers came over and chucked me out.

More entertaining though, was going to the toilets of the bar next door, slicking my hair back, unbuttoning my shirt, and walking straight back into Tramps. And not getting noticed. And staying until 6:15 when the place shut. Hardcore.

Was asleep by 7am, woke up at 11:30am and arranged to do lunch with Ivanka as a final goodbye. Then return to the hostel to pack (they don't seem to know or care that I haven't paid for tonight, and check out time is 11am).

And that's pretty much it. In half an hour I'm leaving to catch my bus to the airport. Given the chance to stay now with Ivanka sorting me out for a job, I probably would do. But it doesn't matter, because I'm really, really, so excited about getting to live in Dublin for the next 6/7 weeks now. I reckon I've learnt a couple of good life lessons over here, and these last 3 days have been fantastic, but what could happen next is just to exciting to give up now. Despite being born in Dublin, I don't really know or remember it at all. So this is a great opportunity. Can't wait.

How cheesy.
Mark.

No comments: